Places covered: Yelagiri, Swamimaalai Hill
Total distance: ~400 kms
Number of days: 1
Yelagiri is a small hill station in Tamil Nadu. Located at an altitude of 1,410 m above Sea Level. Just ~160 km from Bangalore. The uphill ride consists of 14 hair-pin bends, each named after a poet.
Possible trek routes
1. Mangalam to Swamimaalai Hill
2. Tourist information center to Koosi Kuttai
3. Puthur to Perumadu
4. Kottaiyur to Pulicha Kuttai
5. Nilavur to Jalagamparai Waterfalls
6. Niiavur to Amma Kuttai
7. YMCA to Karadi Parai
Route 1 and 5 is what I planned, later cancelled since waterfall was dried-up.
There is a small artificial lake nearby, not worth going unless one is going with kids.
There is a Telescope Observatory, now closed.
List of shutdown activities also include Paragliding (YASA – Yelagiri Adventure Sport Association).
– YMCA is probably the best place to stay there, requires prior booking.
– Conform the weather condition from before heading to Yelagiri. (noon time weather can be very harsh)
– Conform about the waterfall.
– For paragliding details get in touch with YASA.
– Carry packed food, food here isn’t worth. (atleast we didn’t find any)
– Need accomodation? There is guy named Javed at Hotel Nigress, he runs his own guest house, Rs 800 – 900 per night. I can’t share his number here, send me a PM if you need it.
K R Puram> Hoskote> Malur> Bangarapet> KGF> Kuppam> Nemili> Vaniyambadi (Stay)> Yelagiri Hills
K R Puram – Hoskote is NH4, perfect, traffic-free roads.
Malur to KGF via Bangarapet goes a through village, but roads are awesome and traffic-free.
KGF – Kuppam – Nemili, roads are fine.
Nemili – Vaniyambadi – Yelagiri, roads are perfect (NH 46 + SH 130).
We planned a trip to Yelagiri, Tamil Nadu on 1st September 2012. But for some reason it kept getting postpone. So finally on 15th September 2012 we were able to make it to Yelagiri. There were 6 of us (me, Srinivas, Sandeep, Ramesh, Mani and Suresh, 4 bikes in total).
Me and Srinivas started early in the morning. I started by 0630 hrs from K R Puram. Srinivas joined me in Hoskote, had breakfast there and headed towards Yelagiri. The other group was supposed to join us at Yelagiri late in the night.
The phone mount setup + charging arrangement I made recently worked real good. We took alot of breaks on the way, regular butt breaks/ cooldrink break in Kolar, coffee break in Kuppam and BBQ’ed phone break in Nemili (thanks to the climate over there) :).
Snap of navigation setup :).